The Good Shepherd Window
He served twice as President of the Board of Trade, was Lord President of the Council between 1870 and 1880 and was Secretary of State for Scotland 1885-86. He served as Chancellor of the University of Aberdeen from 1861 until 1903 and Lord Lieutenant of Banffshire between 1879 and 1903. He received the Order of the Garter in 1867 and, in consequence of the Gordon inheritance and because of Queen Victoria's esteem for him, he was, on January 13th, 1876, created 1st Duke of Gordon (of the Second Creation) and Earl of Kinrara. The Duke was a noted benefactor to Gordon Chapel (particularly significant was his involvement in the renovations in the early 1870s) as well as to the villages of Fochabers and Port Gordon.
His Grace had married on November 28th, 1843, at St George's, Hanover Square, Frances Harriet Greville (1824-1887). The window of St Ursula within the Chapel commemorates Duchess Frances. Within the wider Fochabers community, Duchess Frances Harriet is commemorated by the great cairn on Whiteash hill. They had four sons, Charles Henry (subsequently the 7th Duke), Lord Algernon Gordon Lennox, Lord Francis Gordon Lennox, Lord Walter Gordon Lennox and two daughters, Lady Caroline Gordon Lennox and Lady Florence Gordon Lennox. Lord Francis and Lady Florence both predeceased the Duke.
The 6th Duke died at Gordon Castle, on September 27th, 1903 at the age of 85 and was buried with his ancestors in Chichester Cathedral on the October 3rd, 1903. He was succeeded, as 7th Duke, by his eldest son.